Parents of Children with Dystonia
Resources for Families
When a child is diagnosed with dystonia, parents may not know where to turn.
DMRF has resources available to help you:
- Seek out the best medical care for your child. Consider consulting a pediatric neurologist with training in movement disorders or a movement disorder neurologist who treats children.
- Educate yourself about childhood dystonia and treatment options. DMRF offers a fact sheet about dystonia for children and children’s book to help start conversations about dystonia with your child.
- Consider joining the DMRF group Support4Parents of Children with Dystonia on Facebook.
- Consider seeking the assistance of a family therapist or counselor to strengthen communication within the family and navigate especially difficult issues.
- Contact the DMRF for individual assistance accessing resources and creating your support network.